Read more: Sammy’s Steaks
Sammy’s Steaks was a pretty popular sandwich joint that was founded in 1946. The “Original” shop was at 12th and Buttonwood Sts. While under family ownership they sliced their own meats from fresh formed ribeyes and NEVER used anything but; unlike the emulsified meat that most others use today. They also made their own sauce…
Read more: Miller’s Cafe – Birdsboro
Warm Inside – The steps are icy, but the welcome was always warm in the Miller’s Cafe in Birdsboro. The business grew over the last 100 years from a grocery store, which sold homemade ice cream and roasted peanuts, to a bar and restaurant that specialized in soups and seafood. – Eagle Photos Miller’s Cafe…
Read more: The Glockenspiel Restaurant
The Glockenspiel was a landmark Pennsylvania Dutch restaurant in northern Berks County. It originally dated back to 1751, built as a two-story farmhouse and later added on dining facilities and offices. It was located along Route 222 between Fleetwood and Kutztown. The restaurant specialized in Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine, and served a famed fruit & cheese…
Read more: A 100 Year Review of Berks – Happy New Year 2020!
Happy New Year Berks County! Not only is it a new year but also the beginning of a new decade. As we leave behind the 2010s, let’s look back on the beginning of the last 10 decades, and some of the events that we experienced together as a community during them. The past is important…
Read more: The Hitching Post
The Hitching Post was a very popular restaurant located in the Springmont section of West Lawn. Built in the 1930s, it was originally a Howard Johnson’s. It then became an establishment called the Imperial Club. Finally, it became the Hitching Post in the 1960s. Countless anniversaries, birthdays, organizational meetings and other celebrations were held here…
Read more: Seafood Shanty
The Seafood Shanty was a popular restaurant in Berks County for 23 years. It was technically a chain, with other locations being around the greater Philadelphia area and into New Jersey. The first location in Berks was opened in Exeter township on Perkiomen Avenue. The second location was opened on Penn Avenue in West Lawn.…
Read more: Woolworth’s – Penn Street / Berkshire Mall
Woolworth’s 6th and Penn Reading store was opened on September 20th, 1884, under the name, “Woolworth & Knox”. It was just three doors down Penn Street across from 6th street from the successful Pomeroy’s department store and later moved to the Berkshire Mall. Woolworth’s moved to the Berkshire Mall when it opened in 1970, as…
Read more: The Clique Restaurant – 1960s
Can’t find anything about this establishment online. Anyone remember where this was or know any information about it? EDIT: thanks to a few commenters on the Facebook post we have solved the mystery. It was located on South 8th Street in Reading, now just an empty lot.