Sunset Diner (Now Family restaurant) is located on route 422 in Exeter. It has been in business since at least the late 1950s.According to the ad below they had the best Dutch Cooking. Quite a bold claim!… Read Full Article
UPDATE: This building sat on the lot that the now abandoned bank building sits on next to McDonalds. In the 40s/50s it changed names to the “Blue Lantern Inn” and finally the “Piccadilly Restaurant“. It was demolished to make way for the construction of the People’s Trust City Bank in 1961.
Does anyone remember this establishment called Chef’s Inn located at 402 Penn Ave in Sinking Spring?… Read Full Article
On this day in 1969 Reading’s very own space needle restaurant debuts in the center of Penn Square. The restaurant’s tenure was short-lived however, as by April 2nd it disconnected completely and took off for outer space.
In 1968 – Redevelopment of downtown Reading returns the city to its, uh, roots.… Read Full Article
The Dixie Tavern was located at the corner of Dwight Street and Penn Avenue in West Lawn, where the Pizza Hut currently stands. Its grand opening was on July 16th, 1949. It remained a popular restaurant and bar in the area until it was replaced by a Pizza Hut in the mid-1970s.
Information about this establishment is hard to come by so if you have any relevant info to share about Dixie Tavern please drop it in the comments.… Read Full Article
Pensupreme was the trade name of Penn Dairy; which originated in Lancaster County. The dairy had restaurants referred to as “Pensupreme Shoppes” which served food and ice cream. They also branched into “Grocerettes” which were basically convenience stores in various places around eastern PA. The main milk processing plant was in York, PA. In Berks County, there was one “Shoppes” style restaurant/ice cream place located on Lancaster Avenue on the border of Shillington, Kenhorst and what is considered Reading proper.… Read Full Article