The West Reading Hotel was built in 1819 on land originally owned by John and William Penn. For 145 years in was a meeting place and social scene for locals and travelers. It stood at 527 Penn Avenue until July of 1964, when it closed its doors for good. A development firm demolished the hotel and replaced it with a shopping complex. This complex currently holds Chef Allen’s American Bistro, Rite Aid and a medical supply store. Image below taken from LoveWestReading’s instagram page.
A commemorative sign now stands in in it’s place.