The Grand Hotel Fire – On this Day 1953

The Grand Hotel, on the northwest corner of Seventh and Franklin Streets, and the Weidner and Bucks magazine store on the right show no outward signs of a fire in which one man died, two others were sent to a hospital and $22,500 damage resulted early today. The fire was confined to the interior of the hotel in about the center of the structure, and to the roof and third floor of the magazine store.Read Full Article

Metropolitan Edison Co. Signed Removed – On this day in 1953

Metropolitan Edison Co.

This dismantling operation which eliminated a skymark in Reading attracted the attention of hundreds of pedestrians this morning. Workmen took down the 50 letters which spelled out Metropolitan Edison Co. in northerly and southerly directions for many years. This is the second time the letters were taken down. But this time it’s permanent. The letters were removed during World War II.Read Full Article

Wernersville Train Station

Wernersville’s passenger rail history began in June of 1857 when the Lebanon Valley Railroad initiated service from Reading to Lebanon. Service was extended all the way to Harrisburg the following year when the Lebanon Valley Railroad was bought out by the Philadelphia and Reading Company (later became Reading Railroad). 

The first Wernersville train station was built on this site in 1881 and was replaced by this current structure in 1927. … Read Full Article

Berks Nostalgia