Completed in 1908 at a cost of $50,000, this pagoda was intended to be the hotel/restaurant centerpiece of a luxury resort. When plans for the rest of the resort were abandoned, the 7-story wooden building on 10 acres of land was donated to Reading in 1911. It is now part of the Mount Penn Reserve, 1,595 acres of municipally-owned land. – Source
There was originally another building built just down from the Pagoda in the same style, and was know as an “Out building”. Does anyone remember this structure, or what it was used for?
According to an admin in the Where in Reading, PA (or Berks County) is this? facebook group, the building was eventually torn down, and it’s parts used for other structures around Reading. (Pics also courtesy of group members)