The structure known as the Mineral Springs Hotel was built around 1815 as a “woolen factory” or a textile mill. That venture failed within the first three years. It was turned into a privately owned hotel, restaurant and resort in 1818 which it would remain for the better part of two centuries.
The Reading Water Co. bought the property in 1859 and dammed the creek to provide water to nearby residents, at one point providing up to 120,000 gallons a day.… Read Full Article
The building located at 503 Penn Street in its footprint dates back to the 1800s and has hosted numerous businesses over the proceeding centuries. In 2016 this building was purchased by Weidenhammer Systems Corp and redeveloped by Muhlenberg Greene Architects.
In 1872 there was a fire which wiped out the entire north side 500 block of Penn Street. The fire originated in the Stichter’s Hardware Store building next door.… Read Full Article
HALF CHICKEN WITH POTATO MEAL: $8.50 ALSO AVAILABLE FOR AN ADDITIONAL COST: Pepper Cabbage, Homemade Applesauce, Baked Beans, Baked Goods SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2021 from 10AM TO 2PM Located at the Dairy Queen on Penn Avenue Sinking Spring – watch for our signs! BENEFITS SINKING SPRING AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY FOR TICKETS CALL KATHY AT 610-678-4219 TO GUARANTEE YOUR MEAL ORSTOP BY TO PICK UP CHICKEN DINNERS WHILE THEY LAST!… Read Full Article