Category: Reading
-
4th of July Through the Decades
Read more: 4th of July Through the Decades1957 West Reading’s Fourth of July celebration yesterday was a double event. Besides celebrating the holiday the citizens and various organizations in the borough joined in a program in observation of the borough’s 50th anniversary. A spectacular feature of the day was the parade which was held in the morning. Shown above is one of…
-
Woolworth’s – Penn Street / Berkshire Mall
Read more: Woolworth’s – Penn Street / Berkshire MallWoolworth’s 6th and Penn Reading store was opened on September 20th, 1884, under the name, “Woolworth & Knox”. It was just three doors down Penn Street across from 6th street from the successful Pomeroy’s department store and later moved to the Berkshire Mall. Woolworth’s moved to the Berkshire Mall when it opened in 1970, as…
-
Earl Building – 525 Penn St
Read more: Earl Building – 525 Penn StThe M. J. Earl Building pictured around the turn of the 20th century at 523/525 Penn Street in Reading. The Earl Building was built around 1880 on the site of famous Revolutionary War Doctor Bodo Otto’s home and practice. It appears there were a few offices inside. One was home to an office of Prudential…
-
Classical Record Shop of Reading – 1960
Read more: Classical Record Shop of Reading – 1960The Classical Record Shop of Reading has in addition to its large and diversified stock of high fidelity and stereophonic records, the outstanding Pilot stereophonic consoles and components. Mr. William Breitegam, manager, is seen showing a groupo of new recordings to Mrs. Carl L. N. Erdman. These fine selections may be obtained by calling Franklin…
-
Reading Indians Night Game – 1960s
Read more: Reading Indians Night Game – 1960sIt’s opening day for the Reading Fightin Phils! Which means it’s time for a flashback to early 1960s Municipal Field, home of the Reading Indians. In 1952, the Wilkes-Barre Indians, an affiliate of the Cleveland Indians relocated to Reading to become the Reading Indians. The Reading Indians played at Municipal Memorial Stadium for the next decade, capturing the league title in…
-
The Park Theatre – 1016 Penn St
Read more: The Park Theatre – 1016 Penn StThe Park Theater opened November 11, 1926, and it was closed by a fire on May 19, 1978. The theater was demolished the following year. James S. Maurer operated the theater as a X-rated movie and live burlesque house, and in 1964 he was arrested along with two strippers in a raid by the Reading…
-
Paul’s Men’s Shop
Read more: Paul’s Men’s ShopPaul’s was a men’s clothing store at 527 Penn St in the 50s and 60s. Couldn’t find a date on when it closed. Today the building is occupied by a pizza place.
-
On this day, 1985 – Downtown Pomeroy’s Closes
Read more: On this day, 1985 – Downtown Pomeroy’s ClosesPomeroy’s Department Store in downtown Reading closed in 1985 after 109 years in business on Penn Square. The business itself was sold to competitor BonTon who took over Pomeroy’s remaining location in the Berkshire Mall. Pomeroy’s history in downtown Reading dates back to 1876, when Josiah Dives, an Englishman, John Stewart, a Scot, and…
-
Inside the Crystal Restaurant – 1960s
Read more: Inside the Crystal Restaurant – 1960sThe Crystal Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge, well known on Penn Square, offers an excellent cuisine, fine service and delightful dining to hundreds of daily customers. Owned and founded by the Mantis Family, the restaurant recently celebrated it’s 50th anniversary with the opening of the elegant Anniversary Room. This beautiful dining room, with its fine appointments…