The brainchild of Jeff Hartman, Saturday’s event has been over a decade in the making, with a few bumps along the way. He originally pursued the idea back in 2010, when he approached the PA Historical Marker Commission about placing a marker somewhere on the grounds of the Fairgrounds Square Mall.… Read Full Article
On this day in the Reading Eagle – 1963
Traffic is rolling over the newly opened West Shore Bypass. Several motorists commented on the time saved in using the new road. One reported reaching the center of Reading from the bypass junction at the Philadelphia Pike in seven minutes, a saving of about 13 minutes. The ramps of the interchange at Lancaster avenue are shown at the bottom of the photo above and the cloverleaf at the western end of the Penn Street Bridge is shown at the top.… Read Full Article
Before the Reading Motor Inn, or Berkshire Mall, there was sprawling farmland and a highway system that was still being integrated into the rural roads of Spring Township. On this day in 1959 the Warren Street Bypass reopened after the construction depicted below closed the roadway for an extended period.
The bridge branching off from the bypass at the left is the northern extension of the Reading Bypass at the point where it crosses the Tulpehocken Creek and joins the Warren Street Bypass.… Read Full Article
UPDATE: This building sat on the lot that the now abandoned bank building sits on next to McDonalds. In the 40s/50s it changed names to the “Blue Lantern Inn” and finally the “Piccadilly Restaurant“. It was demolished to make way for the construction of the People’s Trust City Bank in 1961.
Does anyone remember this establishment called Chef’s Inn located at 402 Penn Ave in Sinking Spring?… Read Full Article
The mansion that sits at 5th and Franklin streets was built in 1869 by a man named Horatio Trexler. He used the home as a private residence for his family until his death on March 19, 1900 at 87 years of age. After his passing his two surviving children, daughters Mary Ann Eckert and Emma Keim inherited the property. In 1902 they deeded it to Mary’s son and Horatio’s grandson, William B.… Read Full Article