Amity High School was located in Amityville, right off of old Swede Road. I can find no information on when it was built.
Sports at Amity High included a Boy’s Basketball team, a Girl’s Basketball team, Baseball team, as well as Girl’s and Boy’s track teams. Other activities included Glee Club and Girl Reserve Club.… Read Full Article
The original Wilson High School building was erected in 1929 on Grandview Boulevard above West Lawn. The first school year started in Fall 1929 and housed 7th-12th grades. The name of the school was chosen in the hope that the life of the man in whose honor it was named, Woodrow Wilson, might serve as an ideal for the young people attending it.… Read Full Article
Holy Name High School’s history is directly entwined with the first catholic high school institution in Berks County; St. Peter’s Reading Catholic High. In the late 50s and early 60s enrollment at Reading Catholic High was declining, as it did not have the space or facilities it needed to attract new students. During this same time Central Catholic’s population was booming; a record 1400 students attended Central Catholic the year before Holy Name opened its doors.… Read Full Article
Luden’s mansion at 1400 Hill Road was purchased by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Allentown in October of 1939 for $45,000. Renovations were made to make the home into a school, and on January 2, 1940 Central Catholic High School of Reading opened its doors. It was the second catholic high school in the city of Reading.… Read Full Article
Starting tomorrow, and over the course of the next 9 weeks Berks Nostalgia is going to be publishing articles on each of Berks County’s High Schools that were defunct due to the consolidation of school systems into the larger districts we have come to know today.
Most of these schools and the memories that were made in them have fallen into somewhat of obscurity, with their last graduating students (in most cases) being 70+ years old today.… Read Full Article