Category: PA Dutch

  • Lamm’s Mill & Farm

    This is another installment in the “Before Blue Marsh” series, where I explore the remains of various properties that were razed in the 1970s to make way for the Blue Marsh Lake Project. See more here. Lamm’s Mill was a three and a half story limestone masonry grist and saw mill which was built in 1844…

    Read more: Lamm’s Mill & Farm
  • How the Fairgrounds almost ended up in West Wyomissing

    The earliest years of the Reading Fair were held at City Park and then a plot on North 11th street. During the early 1910s the Berks County Agricultural Society was tired of leasing the land at North 11th Street and wanted a more permanent location they could call their own. On April 3rd, 1914 it…

    Read more: How the Fairgrounds almost ended up in West Wyomissing
  • Sunset Diner – Route 422

    Sunset Diner (Now Family restaurant) is located on route 422 in Exeter. It has been in business since at least the late 1950s.According to the ad below they had the best Dutch Cooking. Quite a bold claim!

    Read more: Sunset Diner – Route 422
  • On this Day – Feb 7th 1967 – Blizzard Staggers Berks

    16 inches of snow dumps on Berks, closing schools across the county. Lets see a movie…

    Read more: On this Day – Feb 7th 1967 – Blizzard Staggers Berks
  • Lenhartsville Log Cabin Mystery

    An 18th century log cabin owned by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Berger of Allentown, and formerly located in the Blue Marsh Dam project area, has been moved to the rear of the old Lenhartsville Hotel. The Bergers donated the cabin to the Pennsylvania Dutch Folk Culture Society in Lenhartsville. Above, Marvin Werley of Orefield stands…

    Read more: Lenhartsville Log Cabin Mystery
  • Glockenspiel Restaurant

    The Glockenspiel Restaurant

    The Glockenspiel was a landmark Pennsylvania Dutch restaurant in northern Berks County. It originally dated back to 1751, built as a two-story farmhouse and later added on dining facilities and offices. It was located along Route 222 between Fleetwood and Kutztown. The restaurant specialized in Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine, and served a famed fruit & cheese…

    Read more: The Glockenspiel Restaurant
  • Dempsey's Dutch Boy Stolen

    Dempsey’s Dutch Boy Stolen

    On this day, April 7th 1990 the Dempsey’s Dutch Boy statue was stolen from it’s location on the 5th Street Highway in Muhlenberg. The 6-foot, 250-pound Dempsey’s Dutch boy statue outside the restaurant at Fifth Street Highway and Bellevue Avenue was lifted right out of its shoes about 3 a.m. Wednesday. The “victim”, however, apparently…

    Read more: Dempsey’s Dutch Boy Stolen
  • Stoudt’s Restaurant

    Stoudt’s Restaurant was located at 602 Penn Avenue in Sinking Spring (now the 4000 block and a parking lot). It was opened in 1951 and owned by Edward and Ada Stoudt. Edward’s son, also named Edward, worked for his father starting in 1960, and eventually split off and opened Stoudt’s Black Angus; which is still…

    Read more: Stoudt’s Restaurant
  • The Reading Fair

    The Reading Fair had it’s first fair in 1854 at Penn’s Commons, in what is now City Park. It wasn’t until 1915 that the Fair was held at it’s most remembered location in Muhlenberg Township. They built a Horse Race Track and grandstands which were opened to the public in 1916. The fair was hugely successful,…

    Read more: The Reading Fair
  • Outen the Light

    You know you’re from Berks Caaaahnty when…

    Read more: Outen the Light
Berks Nostalgia