There used to be a few of these in Berks, one being located at 3001 St. Lawrence Ave, another in Shillington. They are credited with being one of the first major “Drug Stores” in the mid-Atlantic region, with having over 40 stores at one point in the region.
A former regional retail discount chain in the Northeast, founded in 1938 as a variety store chain in and around New York City. Nichols opened the first Nichols Discount City store in 1960 in Lancaster, Pa.. These stores ranged in size from 80,000 to 100,000 square feet and were usually located in secondary markets. In 1990, Nichols converted their stores to PharmHouse, a discount drug and housewares store. –Source