Category: 1970s

  • Linette Candies

    Linette Candies is a local chocolate candy company especially known for their “Betcha Life” candy bars. They used to be located at the building shown below at 105 Washington Street in Reading. At some point they moved to a larger location in Womelsdorf. According to yellowpages.com; Linette Quality Chocolates was founded in 1927 as a…

    Read more: Linette Candies
  • The Reading Fair

    The Reading Fair had it’s first fair in 1854 at Penn’s Commons, in what is now City Park. It wasn’t until 1915 that the Fair was held at it’s most remembered location in Muhlenberg Township. They built a Horse Race Track and grandstands which were opened to the public in 1916. The fair was hugely successful,…

    Read more: The Reading Fair
  • On this Day… July 12th, 1973

    Above the fold in the July 12th, 1973 Reading Eagle   The Warren Street bypass begins to change as the Berkshire Mall begins to garner more traffic. The 4-lane State Hill Road bridge was replaced with a new structure that would carry 6 lanes, which we still use today. (click image to expand) Berks County…

    Read more: On this Day… July 12th, 1973
  • Then & Now – 1100 Block of Lancaster Ave

    Pictured is looking toward Reading on Lancaster Ave also known as 222 business. You may remember the Red Barn Restaurant, which then became a Chinese restaurant called Golden Chopsticks. It went out of business sometime in the early-mid 2010s.

    Read more: Then & Now – 1100 Block of Lancaster Ave
  • Schell’s Mini-Golf, Restaurant and Dairy Swirl

    Nothing says summertime like a trip to Schell’s for some minigolf and ice cream at the Dairy Swirl. Schell’s has been a landmark on 5th Street Highway in Muhlenberg Township since 1952. Initially opened as just an ice cream shop by the Schell family, the 18 hole mini-golf course opened in May of 1953, and…

    Read more: Schell’s Mini-Golf, Restaurant and Dairy Swirl
  • Old Iron Bridge Connecting Wyomissing & West Lawn

    This iron bridge was on 422/Penn Ave connecting Wyomissing and West Lawn. It was built in 1926 and replaced an older, smaller iron pony-truss bridge. Only two “overhead bowstring bridges” like it are known to have survived in the state of Pennsylvania.* One ended up being placed on the Horseshoe Trail at Scarlets Mill in…

    Read more: Old Iron Bridge Connecting Wyomissing & West Lawn
  • West Wyomissing Foot Bridge

    West Wyomissing Foot Bridge

    In West Wyomissing, there used to be a pedestrian foot bridge that connected Morwood Avenue to Penn Avenue. It was built by the Reading Railroad in the early 1920s to help commuters who lived in West Wyo to get to the trolly lines on Penn Ave easily. A nearby establishment was Queen of the Valley Diner…

    Read more: West Wyomissing Foot Bridge
  • King Hamburgers / Dairy King

    This establishment was originally Called King’s Hamburgers. When Burger King came to Pennsylvania the owner tried to block their usage of the name “Burger King”, which backfired. Unbeknownst Burger King Corporation had already filed for the Pennsylvania rights for that name just a few months before the owner. After this the restaurant was known as…

    Read more: King Hamburgers / Dairy King
  • Penn & 7th Street, 1970s

    Photo taken by Ron Ciervo

    Read more: Penn & 7th Street, 1970s
  • Old Reading Beer - Reading PA

    Reading Brewing Company

    Reading Brewing Company was founded by Philip Bessinger in 1886 in Reading, Pennsylvania. It was located at 9th & Laurel Streets. It brewed and canned various beers during its existence. Old Reading Beer and Reading Premium Beer were amongst the most popular. Reading produced a Pennsylvania Dutch Lager at a volume of 1,200 barrels a…

    Read more: Reading Brewing Company
Berks Nostalgia