Sinking Spring Speedway

Sinking Spring Speedway was located along Fritztown Road, between Old Fritztown and Montello Roads. It opened in August of 1948 and was a quarter-mile semi-banked dirt racetrack about a half-mile southwest of Sinking Spring. It was ran by Harry D. Weil. They hosted afternoon and night races under lighting over the summer months.

Sinking Spring Speedway
May 8th, 1949 Reading Eagle article, the inaugural stock car race of 1949 drew a crowd of 1000

The twice-deffered 1949 Sinking Spring racing inaugural has attracted a field of more than 25 drivers, mostly from Reading and Berks County, and many of the youthful pilots will be making their debut in competitive racing.Read Full Article

Before Baseballtown – Reading’s Minor League History (1900s)

In 1919 the International League started a baseball team in Reading, PA. Their home field was Lauer’s Park at 3rd & Elm Streets. They were first named the Reading Coal Barons in their first season in 1919 and then the Reading Marines in 1920. In 1921 they became the Reading Aces, a name that lasted twice as long as the previous names; an entire two years.

Reading Baseballtown History - Lauer's Park
Laurer’s Park in Reading – taken in 1941

Lauer’s Park

Lauer’s Park was constructed in 1907 near where Lauer’s Brewery once stood.… Read Full Article

Wilson High School

Wilson High pictured in 1930 shortly after completion

The original Wilson High School building was erected in 1929 on Grandview Boulevard above West Lawn. The first school year started in Fall 1929 and housed 7th-12th grades. The name of the school was chosen in the hope that the life of the man in whose honor it was named, Woodrow Wilson, might serve as an ideal for the young people attending it.… Read Full Article