Reading Fairgrounds & Speedway Plaque Dedication

On Saturday May 21st, 2022, a plaque commemorating the Reading Fairgrounds & Speedway was ceremonially dedicated to the drivers who lost their lives there.

The brainchild of Jeff Hartman, Saturday’s event has been over a decade in the making, with a few bumps along the way. He originally pursued the idea back in 2010, when he approached the PA Historical Marker Commission about placing a marker somewhere on the grounds of the Fairgrounds Square Mall.… Read Full Article

Stokesay Castle

Stokesay Castle has been a staple  of formal dining and event space in Berks for a long time. But how does an old English castle end up nestled in the woods of Mount Penn, of all places? 

You have probably heard in passing that the place is haunted, and being a Castle on a road called Spook Lane you can’t help but hope it is.… Read Full Article

Berks Beryllium Lands on Moon – On this day in 1969

On November 14th 1969 the second crewed flight to the moon, known as Apollo 12, launched from Kennedy Space Center in Florida. It successfully made contact with the moon on this day, November 19th 1969. When it landed, so did small but significant pieces from Berks County.

Berks Beryllium
Nov 19th 1969 Reading Eagle

A number of components on the lunar lander Intrepid were made from beryllium supplied by Kawecki-Berylco Industries, Inc.Read Full Article

Wilbur “Lefty” Reeser –
Sports Star to Sporting Goods

Wilbur “Lefty” Reeser was born on June 28th 1918 in West Lawn to Herbert and Mary Reeser. Judging from Lefty’s senior yearbook excerpt below, he was an all-around athlete during his adolescence. During his senior year at Wilson he led Berks County in boys basketball scoring and also took the Prexies baseball team to the county title serving as their pitcher and captain.… Read Full Article

Before Baseballtown – Reading’s Minor League History (1900s)

In 1919 the International League started a baseball team in Reading, PA. Their home field was Lauer’s Park at 3rd & Elm Streets. They were first named the Reading Coal Barons in their first season in 1919 and then the Reading Marines in 1920. In 1921 they became the Reading Aces, a name that lasted twice as long as the previous names; an entire two years.

Reading Baseballtown History - Lauer's Park
Laurer’s Park in Reading – taken in 1941

Lauer’s Park

Lauer’s Park was constructed in 1907 near where Lauer’s Brewery once stood.… Read Full Article

BERKS NOSTALGIA