Josiah Dives was born in 1851 in Chartham, Kent, England. He started his business career after moving to London at the age of 13 following his Father’s death. When coming to America in 1872, his first residence was Hartford, CT. This is where he met George Pomeroy and John Stewart. Together they came to Reading and founded Dives, Pomeroy, and Stewart Deptartment Store, which later became known as just “Pomeroy’s”. … Read Full Article
The Van Reed Covered Bridge
The area around the mouth of the Cacoosing Creek into the Tulpehocken Creek was settled and industrialized by the Van Reed Family. They were dutch immigrants who came to America around 1750 and settled around this creek in the early 1800s. Over the course of the 19th century the family owned at least three paper mills, a wool mill a saw mill and a union canal warehouse all along the Tulpehocken & Cacoosing Creeks.… Read Full Article
Muhlenberg Greene Architects, Ltd. was founded in 1920 by Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg II. Since 1920 they have been responsible for designing some of the most well-known buildings in Berks County. Happy 100 years, MGA, this article is dedicated to your legacy.
Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg II
Frederick A. “Fred” Muhlenberg II was born in Reading on September 25th, 1887. He was the son of Dr.… Read Full Article
Last week I received an email from a Tara Colton saying she acquired a large cabinet that has “Property of the Berkshire Knitting Mills” stamped on the bottom of it. She is hoping to find out a little more about the cabinet and what it was used for at the knitting mill.
She is currently in the process of refinishing the piece.… Read Full Article
Luden’s mansion at 1400 Hill Road was purchased by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Philadelphia in October of 1939 for $45,000. Renovations were made to make the home into a school, and on January 2, 1940 Central Catholic High School of Reading opened its doors. It was the second catholic high school in the city of Reading.… Read Full Article