Holy Name High School’s history is directly entwined with the first catholic high school institution in Berks County; St. Peter’s Reading Catholic High. In the late 50s and early 60s enrollment at Reading Catholic High was declining, as it did not have the space or facilities it needed to attract new students. During this same time Central Catholic’s population was booming; a record 1400 students attended Central Catholic the year before Holy Name opened its doors.… Read Full Article
The original Mt. Penn School building was the precursor to Mt. Penn High School and was built in 1885 at 24th and Grant Streets. By 1923 there were 8 elementary grades and 4 high school grades in the building with 240 elementary children and 70 high school students. It had been outgrown and a new building needed to be built.… Read Full Article
The West Reading High School building was built in 1914 at the corner of 4th and Franklin Streets. It was the beginning of the secondary education for youth in the Borough of West Reading. It housed 7th-12th grades.
In 1923 an addition to the original building was added to accommodate an expanding population. An auditorium, gymnasium, study hall, science labs and additional classrooms were added to the high school.… Read Full Article