Mineral Springs Hotel

The structure known as the Mineral Springs Hotel was built around 1815 as a “woolen factory” or a textile mill. That venture failed within the first three years. It was turned into a privately owned hotel, restaurant and resort in 1818 which it would remain for the better part of two centuries.

The Reading Water Co. bought the property in 1859 and dammed the creek to provide water to nearby residents, at one point providing up to 120,000 gallons a day.… Read Full Article

503 Penn Street

The building located at 503 Penn Street in its footprint dates back to the 1800s and has hosted numerous businesses over the proceeding centuries. In 2016 this building was purchased by Weidenhammer Systems Corp and redeveloped by Muhlenberg Greene Architects.

In 1872 there was a fire which wiped out the entire north side 500 block of Penn Street. The fire originated in the Stichter’s Hardware Store building next door.… Read Full Article

A.T.V. Bakery

ATV Bakery
ATV Bakery pictured in 1956

Their beginnings can be traced back over a century ago when Paolo Alberti came to America from Palermo, Sicily and opened “Alberti’s Bakery” in the early 1900s. In the beginning Alberti’s competed with two other local Sicilian bakers; Tomasi and Vecchio. Paolo’s son, Joe, decided to join forces with the rival bakers and in 1941, ATV Bakery was born.… Read Full Article

The Trexler Mansion / Reading Elks Lodge 115

The mansion that sits at 5th and Franklin streets was built in 1869 by a man named Horatio Trexler. He used the home as a private residence for his family until his death on March 19, 1900 at 87 years of age. After his passing his two surviving children, daughters Mary Ann Eckert and Emma Keim inherited the property. In 1902 they deeded it to Mary’s son and Horatio’s grandson, William B.… Read Full Article

Berks Nostalgia