Berks County Almshouse

Berks County Almshouse

The Berks County Almshouse was located just outside of Shillington along route 724 or Philadelphia Avenue. The land on which the Almshouse was built in 1824 was owned by Governor Thomas Mifflin. His actual residence, the location of which has been long debated amongst local historians, was rumored to be one of the buildings on the Almshouse grounds.

Berks County Almshouse
Looking west at route 724/Philadelphia Avenue roughly where the entrance to Shillington Park is today

The Berks County Almshouse opened officially in 1826, when a state law was passed requiring every county in the state of Pennsylvania to have a “poorhouse”.… Read Full Article

BERKS NOSTALGIA