National Central Bank has finalized arrangements to install a specially designed message center on its office building at the southwest corner of 5th and Penn Streets. Announcement of the anticipated early-April installation of the new computer controlled display sign at National Central’s Retail Loan Center was made by W. Sturgis Corbett, bank senior vice president and Reading region administrator.
Mr Corbett said: “The sign, which has been under consideration by the bank since early November of last year, will repeat a programmed, eight-line message and the current temperature and time.… Read the rest
It was not until the late 1960’s that the Shillington Theatre was able to run movies on Sundays due to the local municipality refusing to repeal and continuing to enforce Pennsylvania’s antiquated “blue laws”.… Read the rest
Sammy’s Steaks was a pretty popular sandwich joint that was founded in 1946. The “Original” shop was at 12th and Buttonwood Sts. While under family ownership they sliced their own meats from fresh formed ribeyes and NEVER used anything but; unlike the emulsified meat that most others use today. They also made their own sauce from a recipe that the founder developed.… Read the rest
The Monterey Inn was built in the 1920s on the foundation of a building destroyed by a fire. It was located along Route 222, right before Church Road bears right in Maxatawny Township. It was originally built sometime after the 1830s by Isaac L. Bieber. Before and after burning in the 20s, it served as many different businesses; a hotel, a post office, general store, and gas station.… Read the rest
The former Sinking Spring Borough Hall building held stores and a restaurant until the Sinking Spring Bank opened there in 1922, according to “Borough of Sinking Spring 100th Anniversary,” by Paul and Kathy Miller.
The borough then bought the building in 1963 from People’s Trust City Bank. The Sinking Spring Borough dedicated the building during its 50th birthday celebration between June 16 -23, 1963.… Read the rest