This photograph of Reading, Pennsylvania was taken around the turn of the 20th century from Leinbach’s Hill in West Reading. Pictured in the foreground is the third Penn Street Bridge crossing the Schuylkill River. Across the bridge and to the left is the Pennsylvania Railroad station. A large big portion of Leinbach’s Hill, including the area the photographer was standing while taking this photo was removed when the cloverleaf on/off ramps were constructed for the West Shore Bypass in 1962.… Read Full Article
Muhlenberg Greene Architects, Ltd. was founded in 1920 by Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg II. Since 1920 they have been responsible for designing some of the most well-known buildings in Berks County. Happy 100 years, MGA, this article is dedicated to your legacy.
Frederick Augustus Muhlenberg II
Frederick A. “Fred” Muhlenberg II was born in Reading on September 25th, 1887. He was the son of Dr.… Read Full Article
Wertz’s Red Covered Bridge is one of only 5 original covered bridge structures left standing in Berks County. At one time there were quite a few over the Tulpehocken Creek in various locations along its span, including one slightly upstream near the old Paper Mill. Wertz’s Covered Bridge was built in 1867 and spans an impressive 204 feet across the Tulpehocken Creek which makes it the longest single-span covered bridge in the state of Pennsylvania.… Read Full Article
Pictured above is 6th & Penn Streets in 1949. On the immediate right is Pomeroy’s Department Store. A block north in the background is the Berks County Court House. All of the buildings between the photographer and the Court house were razed in the 1970s as a part of downtown Reading’s revitalization efforts. Can you identify any of the businesses along the east side of North 6th Street?… Read Full Article
The Reading Girl’s High School was established in 1895 at the old Reading Academy building on 4th and Court Streets. The building was originally built in 1839, and occupied by an all-boys private school called the Reading Academy until 1853. Between 1853 and 1894 it was a public school institution named City Union High School.… Read Full Article