John Updike’s Childhood Home

On Saturday September 10th I had the pleasure of visiting John Updike’s childhood home at 117 Philadelphia Avenue in Shillington. John lived here from his birth in 1932 until he was 13 years old. It is widely known that Shillington and the city of Reading were the inspirational foundation behind many of his stories and novels.

His most famous 4-part “Rabbit” novel series was set around a character living in Reading; though the locations were renamed in the book.… Read Full Article

Sinking Spring Area Historical Society Open House

The Sinking Spring Area Historical Society will hold an Open House in Heritage Park in Sinking Spring to celebrate the Society’s 45th anniversary on Sunday, September 25 from 1PM to 4PM.  The Society was formed in 1977 from the local Bicentennial Committee.  The museum and buildings in Heritage Park, home of the Society, will be open to the public.  There will be music by Phyllis Sands in the Freight House from 1:30PM to 3:30PM. … Read Full Article

Pomeroy’s Proposed Expansion – On this Day 1957

Pomeroy's expansion 1957

An architect’s drawing of the proposed $1,500,000 expansion and modernization project at Pomeroy’s, Inc., is shown in the top photo, while below inside the outlined area, are the five buildings which will be razed and the diner, at 6th and Cherry streets, which will be moved to make way for the new construction. (Eagle Staff Photo)

Pomeroy's expansion 1957

Pomeroy’s expansion planning and acquisition of the adjacent structures south of it on Sixth Street took roughly three years.… Read Full Article

The Deadly Berkshire Knitting Mill Strike of 1936 – Part 3

The Reading 100 Machine - Berkshire Knitting Mill

This is the third part in a series that will be concluded at a later date. Consider subscribing to receive an email alert when it is published. If you haven’t, read parts one & two for context.


In the wake of the violence on Thursday October 1st, 1936, the weekend kicked off surprisingly calm. Calls for peace and mediation were made by various local business leaders and the Pennsylvania Governor himself.Read Full Article

Mineral Springs Hotel

The structure known as the Mineral Springs Hotel was built around 1815 as a “woolen factory” or a textile mill. That venture failed within the first three years. It was turned into a privately owned hotel, restaurant and resort in 1818 which it would remain for the better part of two centuries.

The Reading Water Co. bought the property in 1859 and dammed the creek to provide water to nearby residents, at one point providing up to 120,000 gallons a day.… Read Full Article

Berks Nostalgia