Old Wyomissing High School

Home Forums Schools Old Wyomissing High School

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Alexa Freyman
      Keymaster

Completed in 1924, and located on Wyomissing Blvd in between Garfield and Cleveland Avenues. This building was erected to complete high school education studies in the Wyo Borough. Before this, students attended 1st through 11th grade at the building on the corner of Trent and Belmont Avenues, which is currently still standing and home to the Institute of the Arts. After 11th grade students had the choice of continuing their studies at a Boy’s or Girl’s High School in Reading. Now they had a place they could graduate near home.

In 1940, part of the current High School building was built, and the former High School was converted into an elementary school. By 1984 the old Wyomissing High School building was abandoned and razed.

Steerforth
      Participant

Steerforth
      Participant

Steerforth
      Participant

Steerforth
      Participant

Too bad that we don’t have a photo of the other side.  Up against the building was the sheltered bike rack, and then there was a play area with basketball hoops until Lynn Avenue; across the road is Happy Hollow Playground.  Many fond memories of the school and the playground for the year 6/54 – 5/55.

“The happy highways where I went

And cannot come again.”

• A.E. Housman

Alexa Freyman
      Keymaster

I have a surprise for you!

Also, I have added a bunch of new photos to the original article that you may be interested in!

Old Wyomissing High School

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.