Mohnton High School

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts
    • #3747
      Alexa
      Keymaster

      Mohnton High School was built in 1908 shortly after the incorporation of the borough of Mohnton. It served as the community’s Junior and Senior High School until 1953 when it merged with Brecknock, Cumru, Shillington and Kenhorst to create the Govenor Mifflin School District.

      The former Mohnton High School building served as the Gov. Mifflin Junior High School from 1953 until the new high school building was opened in the 1957-1958 school year. The building then became an elementary school.

      By 1971-72, only grades 1 to 4 were taught in the Mohnton building. Later, kindergarten children were bussed to the Cumru building and grades 4 to 6 to the new Intermediate building. The term of 1975-76 was the last one to see children winding their way to school up Chestnut Street. For awhile the old High School building stood vacant and was finally torn down in 1979. Thus ended in Mohnton, an educational era lasting for one hundred and thirteen years. Source

    • #3752
      Alexa
      Keymaster





Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.