Category: Towns

  • Reading’s Comfort Stations at 5th & Penn

    The Comfort Stations at 5th & Penn were essentially public restrooms that included toilets, showers, weight scales, 14 wash bowls with liquid soap, and pay compartments all of which seemed quite luxurious for when it was introduced in February of 1922. The showers and pay compartments cost 25 and 10 cents. Comfort stations became extremely…

    Read more: Reading’s Comfort Stations at 5th & Penn
  • The Shillington Diner

    The Shillington Diner can trace its roots back to the farmers market located at Museum Road and Lancaster Ave that opened in 1935. The Shillington Diner (later Restaurant) was built onto the market at 100 W Lancaster Ave and opened in 1948. In the beginning it just sold simple lunch foods for hungry customers visiting…

    Read more: The Shillington Diner
  • The Reading Station Outlets

    The Reading Station Outlets were opened in 1992, to try solidify Reading’s status as “Outlet Capitol of the World”. Unfortunately due to the decline of the city most shoppers preferred to go to the Vanity Fair Outlet stores that were located further outside of the city in Wyomissing/West Reading. By 1995 the owners of the…

    Read more: The Reading Station Outlets
  • On this Day March 29th

    Above the fold in the 1973 Reading Eagle   

    Read more: On this Day March 29th
  • Croll & Keck

    Croll & Keck, a store specializing in men’s and boy’s apparel, was located on the south side of the 600 block of Penn Street, at 622 Penn Street; situated next door to Pomeroy’s Department Store.  It opened in 1898, with founders being John W. Gilbert, William M. Croll and D. A. Heffner. The first location of the…

    Read more: Croll & Keck
  • On this Day March 27th…

    Above the fold in the March 27th, 1985 Reading Eagle

    Read more: On this Day March 27th…
  • The Vanity Fair Outlets

    The Vanity Fair Outlets were established first as Reading Glove and Mitten Manufacturing Company in Pennsylvania in October 1899. The H.D. Lee Company (now Lee) was acquired by the company in 1969 and the corporate name was changed to VF Corporation, a fictitious name that is not even legally registered, to reflect the more diverse…

    Read more: The Vanity Fair Outlets
  • FarrsBootShop-5thandpenn

    Farr’s Shoe Store / Boot Shop

    Farr’s was founded in Allentown in 1862 by Jacob L. Farr Sr. in a small shop at 8th & Hamilton. He custom made men’s, women’s and children’s shoes by hand. Reading’s first branch opened in 1913 under management of three of Farr’s sons. They reincorporated as Farr Bros Co. in 1920. The location that most…

    Read more: Farr’s Shoe Store / Boot Shop
  • Dempsey’s American Kitchen

    There was not a lot of information to be found on Dempsey’s American Kitchen online. Only this Morning Call article from 2005 about the restaurant location in Bethlehem being closed. Dempsey’s headquartered in Reading, but there were 14 locations eventually opened (and subsequently closed) around the region in the 60 years the company was in operation. The Lancaster…

    Read more: Dempsey’s American Kitchen
  • On this day March 23rd…

    Above the fold in the March 23rd 1955 Reading Eagle Ads & more

    Read more: On this day March 23rd…
Berks Nostalgia