“Jacob Louis Kuechler was a man of the mountains. Indeed, he made his home and his livelihood in the rocks, trees and hollows on Mount Penn. Living alone, Kuechler had a well-earned reputation as a hermit. But he was far from a recluse.
His homey cabin was a stop on the Mount Penn Gravity Railroad. Visitors were treated to homemade wine, bread, cheese and Kuechler’s specialty hasenpfeffer – a German rabbit stew.… Read Full Article
The Mt. Penn Glass Front Diner was located at the east end of the Lindbergh Viaduct. It was located at 2101 Howard Blvd in Mount Penn. It was eventually turned into an Arner’s Restaurant, which was then sold as well in the mid-2000s. Now a Pizzeria stands in its place.
The Colonial Theatre was one of Reading’s first large theatres built specifically for movies, and opened on April 16, 1917, with “Sleeping Fires”. It was operated by Carr & Schad, which had the local franchise for Paramount-Artcraft releases. In September, 1925, the Loew’s Inc. circuit took over and ran the Colonial Theatre through its peak years as home for all the major MGM releases, including “Gone With the Wind”.… Read Full Article