Sinking Spring Speedway

Sinking Spring Speedway was located along Fritztown Road, between Old Fritztown and Montello Roads. It opened in August of 1948 and was a quarter-mile semi-banked dirt racetrack about a half-mile southwest of Sinking Spring. It was ran by Harry D. Weil. They hosted afternoon and night races under lighting over the summer months.

Sinking Spring Speedway
May 8th, 1949 Reading Eagle article, the inaugural stock car race of 1949 drew a crowd of 1000

The twice-deffered 1949 Sinking Spring racing inaugural has attracted a field of more than 25 drivers, mostly from Reading and Berks County, and many of the youthful pilots will be making their debut in competitive racing.Read Full Article

Sinking Spring Area Historical Society and Heritage Park

The Sinking Spring Area Historical Society and Heritage Park began in 1977 when the Society was organized.  In 1978, the Save Our Station Committee organized for the purpose of saving the former Sinking Spring Station and Freight House.  Today the combined organization is dedicated to preserving the area’s history and maintaining the historic buildings in Heritage Park. 

Sinking Spring Aarea Historical Society
This vintage view was taken in the early 1900’s of the Sinking Spring Station at its original location near the Railroad House Hotel.
Read Full Article

Sinking Spring High School

Sinking Spring High

The Sinking Spring School was established on the plot of land next to the railroad tracks, between Vester Place, Columbia Avenue and Woodrow Avenue in 1894. Four additional rooms were added in 1902 and high school classes began being offered in 1904. Unfortunately, the original structure was gutted by a fire in the early Monday morning hours of December 26th, 1921.… Read Full Article