Old Iron Bridge Connecting Wyomissing & West Lawn

wyomissing - west lawn iron bridge

This iron bridge was on 422/Penn Ave connecting Wyomissing and West Lawn. It was built in 1926 and replaced an older, smaller iron pony-truss bridge. Only two “overhead bowstring bridges” like it are known to have survived in the state of Pennsylvania.* One ended up being placed on the Horseshoe Trail at Scarlets Mill in Robeson Township. These smaller pony-truss bridges needed to be replaced in the early 1920s because railroad regulations changed to allow double-stacking of rail-car containers.… Read Full Article

King Hamburgers / Dairy King

King Hamburgers
King Hamburgers pictured in 1969

This establishment was originally Called King’s Hamburgers. When Burger King came to Pennsylvania the owner tried to block their usage of the name “Burger King”, which backfired. Unbeknownst Burger King Corporation had already filed for the Pennsylvania rights for that name just a few months before the owner. After this the restaurant was known as just “King’s”.… Read Full Article