… Read Full Article
Located at the corner of NE 9th Street & Spring Street. The Strand Theatre was opened February 21, 1920. By 1941 it was owned and operated by Goldman Theatres of Philadelphia. It was a fairly large theatre with a balcony, and had a huge wrap-around neon lit marquee. For years it was a neighborhood double feature second run house.
In around 1968, Goldman began to program first run features.
Below are aerial photos of Museum Road, looking toward West Reading. Pictured front and center is the Villa St. Elizabeth, “Home for the aged”. The Reading Public Museum can be seen further in the background, through some trees. Notice the then brand new Reading Hospital building in the top center. Most of Wyomissing was not yet built, and appears to have been farmland.… Read Full Article
The Fifth and Spring Schoolhouse was erected originally in 1900 (see top left) as a Victorian style school. The Spring and Church building (see top right) appears to be connected to the Fifth and Spring Building but it is not, a walkway was between. In 1926 these two buildings were conjoined to create building the main image. It was demolished in the 70s and now a Turkey Hill stands in it’s place.… Read Full Article